Get The Facts!!
Did you know that…
- Iowa ranks #1 in the nation for egg production
- #1 in egg processing
- Iowa’s chicken layers consume 55 million bushels of corn and 504,500 tons of soybean meal yearly
- Iowa “breaks” an estimated 42% of the eggs further processed in the United States.
- Iowa’s egg producers create more than 8,000 jobs annually. $2 billion in total sales, $502 million in personal wages and over $22 million in state tax revenues!
- Today’s hens use a little over half of the amount of feed to produce a dozen eggs compared to 1960, all while decreasing their environmental footprint by approximately 50%.
- Iowa is home to a growing broiler industry, with rapid growth over the past year due to easily accessible food sources for the broilers.
- Iowa’s egg and poultry farmers are committed to producing safe, high-quality, nutritious, and affordable food products for human consumption throughout the country.
- Iowa has approximately 45 million laying hens
- Iowa produces enough eggs to provide an egg-a-day for the world for 2 days.
- An egg-a-day for China for 11 days
- An egg-a-day for all Americans for 47 days
- Iowa’s egg farmers add value to Iowa corn and soybeans – 58 million bushels of corn and 30 million bushels of soybeans
Economic Importance of the Iowa Egg Industry:
In an attempt to inform media and the general public about the poultry industry, the Iowa Poultry Association has put together a Media Page. It includes up to date information about disease outbreaks, fact sheets and resources.